Thursday 14 August 2008

The polite pensioner reality or myth?




Things were good in the old days... there wasn’t any trouble...people were so friendly.
Have you ever heard your grandma or granddad utter these words? Chances are you probably have. Of course no one believes them. But today I fell victim to what I now call another perpetuated myth, that of the ‘polite pensioner’.

After a particularly long day at uni I wearily but happily walked towards my campus’ local Greggs bakery in much need of its sugary delights, (iced preferably). Popular and often very busy amongst my fellow students, mainly because of its cheap and cheerful ‘four for the price of’ offers, I was grateful to find no queue, just a lady with two children particularly eager to have the “Biscuit man with smartie eyes” as one put it, and a very dapperly dressed old man reminiscent of the 40’s and 50’s when men wearing suits were de rigour. Distinguished with salt and pepper hair he strongly reminded me of Nelson Mandela.

He probably won’t take two long I thought. Having spent most of the day in the library, I had skipped lunch, which had left me ravenous with a craving only a doughnut could satisfy. Lost in thoughts of pastry, my journey home and assignments, my reverie was shattered by the loud unmistakably rude tone of ‘Mr distinguished’, commanding with a thrusting forefinger what he wanted in the window, don’t you know it is rude to point, I thought! He then went on to command various other goods, in the same manner, his behaviour combined with age i must say left me shocked.

Looks passing between the silent salesgirls lead me to believe I wasn’t alone in thinking his behaviour despicable.
Call me old fashioned but I can’t stand rudeness in anyone. After he was served I ‘accidently’ to loudly commented that some people these days don’t know the meaning of please and thank you.

Well that did it. How could I ever have even compared him to the peace touting Nelson Mandela, a torrent of shouted threats and abuse was volleyed in my direction faster than any Williams sisters could ever serve back. I took the higher moral ground and remained calm throughout. I couldn’t believe here I was being insulted by someone at least 50 years my senior because I berated him on his lack of manners. Surely this was the wrong way round.

The younger generation are always getting stick for, not respecting our elders, acting with enough consideration or being mindful of our p ’s and q ’s. And yes while there are young people who are rude there are many more that are not and it’s the same with the elderly. People have to grow old sometime and unless they have a life transplant or at least decide to adopt a more people friendly persona, won’t they just grow into rude young adults? Just because you have access to an orange bus pass it doesn’t automatically turn you into tea dancing loving, bowls playing old biddy. I tell you I have been shoved hard believe it or not many times on public transport by pensioners who then stare at you as if to taunt there’s nothing you can do about it. Now before you all start coming after me with pitchforks and torches, I do not hate old people far from it I just think Maybe it’s time it’s not just the young but all of society who should watch their manners.

No comments: