Saturday 16 August 2008

Mothers + Entertaining= Nightmare

aaaargh! don't parents just rile you up sometimes. I at the moment am ignoring my mother, petty I know but I am just plain fed up and steaming at the ears, so am choosing to vent in my blog.

Here is the situation. Mother has guests coming round tomorrow old, old friends she hasn't seen in years, so is all in a tizz.

I know you can identify with me when I say its all "we have to clean, we have to hoover, what are we going to cook? ooh what if they don't like this? what if they don't like that?,you can't have that out, what will so and so say." My mother is no Hyecinth Bouquet but shes acting as if the bloody Queen is coming round not plain old Fiona* and Charles* et al. Give me a break, myself and my sis don't even want to be here but we're as elbow deep into the preparations as mother.

So whats riled me up.
We had a plan, a plan you hear, conceived last night over dinner we agreed to stick to it.

Now i'm very fussy when it comes to organisation particularly if you have one day only to get through a million tasks.

The plan was to wake early and go to the supermarket with mum to get the food shopping in before the saturday morning crowds hit, therefore allowing for the rest of the day to be left tidying and god knows what else we would have to do. I woke early on saturday morning much earlier than planned, so decided to scoot off to my local B&Q to buy a few plants to pretty up the front garden (another task mummy wanted doing.)

I knew I would be back in 1hr so waved mummy off as she was having her morning tea, "don't forget the plan" I sang out before closing the door.

I got to B&Q and back in record time, totally pleased with myself as I entered our front gate, only 50 minutes had lapsed since I left the house, I was happy we were still on target.

After dumping the plants I head to the kitchen to find mum still in her nightie, "mum! what are you doing still like that? have you bathed yet" I said incredulously, " No not yet, but I managed to clean the kitchen floor, it was dirtier than i thought", looking down it looked clean, just the way it did before I left, "also the doors" she carried on " but what about the plan!" I said a little hysterically, "it's now 10 0'clock, we were supposed to leave early, this is not early, by the time you get ready it'll be 11.00am" "it's ok", she said popping the kettle on for more tea and putting toast into the toaster.

That did it, those 2 slices of toast were the straws that broke the camels back totall miffed I plonked myself in front of the PC. Sensing my mood I must admit she did speed through brekkie and now as I type has had a quick bath and is getting dressed. I love her to bits but dear God

mothers+entertaining=Nightmare.

No comments: